Meatball on Twitter

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

My first attempt at converting Valhallans

Here is my first attempt at adding a great coat onto my Cadians. While I know it is not perfect i feel like I am off to a good start. I used Ron's Sculpting a half tabard post over on FTW as a starting point. I used some construction paper to get the foundation of the great coat. I then coated the paper with super glue and let it dry. Next was a thin layer of green stuff. I then rolled thin logs to use as the coats edging.



Today my plan is to make the arm cuffs and collar as well as add a bedroll onto the belt. I also noticed some areas of the coat where I will need a thin layer of greenstuff to smooth out some rough spot where I must have accidentally touched the model when setting it aside to cure. I am going to be ordering the CODE: HD.11 KOL MILITIA WINTER HEADGEAR from Pig Iron Productions, mostly because my sculpting skills are no where near good enough to do heads yet, but after this army is complete I am hoping that they will improve significantly!

I also managed to finish painting my Dwarf Hammerers over the weekend. This mean I have another army that is almost completely painted. Unfortunately when I was at my game store this weekend, I worked out a trade with a buddy of mine. I am trading my unpainted Wood Elf army for a Warriors of Chaos, so more distractions to keep me from getting whole armies finished.

Well let me know what you think of the conversion. Any ideas or suggestion are welcome.

-BJ

3 comments:

Mitch said...

Pig Iron has nice products for conversions. Capes and long coats to seem difficult to make! I look forward to see a finished mini

Mitch
http://ottawagamer.blogspot.com/

Karitas said...

What works for a small tabard in a void dosent always work for a larger area covering raised model detail. ron's way is awesome for thickly folded sections, for a coat you often want larger sweeps.

that said you're off to a very good start.

If I may, having modelled a few great/trench coats I have a few words of advice, Approach it like a tailor, pre-cut your "pattern" from sheets of GS, I'd suggest working with GS rolled slightly thinner than above, and add detal rather than try to sculpt. working with thing GS you want to touch it as little as possible.

I've been meaning for some time to sit down and do a tut on how I do coats, Maybe I'll see if I can get to it in a day or two.

I'm no expert by any stretch but I can show you what I do, then it might help.

BJ said...

That would be great. Thank you for the advice.

Post a Comment