Meatball on Twitter

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Small Space Wolf Project

Well with the new Space Wolf Codex a couple of months away my buddy Brandon asked me if I could paint him up some more Blood Claws to go with the Space Wolf army I painted for him 2 years ago. I was actually looking forward to being done with Marines for a little while, but he is a good friend so I took the job.

I asked him to send me a few of the minis I had already painted so I could match the style and colors as he wants the army to look uniform. Today I made sure that I remember all the colors I used and that I had fresh pots of each. So now I just need to prime they and get to work.

I have noticed something while trying to get all of my half painted armies completed. I can see from the oldest army to the most recent how my painting style has changed and grown. It is a challenge to try to match older models I have painted, as I have to remember what techniques I used on them.

So I am sitting here looking at these Space Wolf models and I realized I used allot of dry brushing, almost no blending or shading and I can see the heavy use of ink on the faces. It was pretty cool to see how much I have learned about painting in the last 2 years, but also realized it was going to be a challenge to get the new models to match the old style.

So as soon as I post this I will be off to prime around 30 Blood Claws. I will still have a Character model or two and some long fangs but I wanted to get the bulk of this project completed first.

I am going to do my best to make the models match the old while I incorporate some blending as well as washes into the new models. I keep the blog updated as I work on this project.


Post a Comment