Meatball on Twitter

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Tavern Talk - Rituals

I missed out on the last Tavern Talk due to my move, but when Kuffy over at The Trading Post sent out this new assignment, I just had to make sure I posted on this one.


So the topic for discussion are what rituals we as gamers go through. There are a few quirky things I do in my games over a few gaming systems so this will not be a Fantasy Battle specific post.


One of the rituals that I stick to the most is in my games of Warhammer 40K. I have sets of dice I only use with certain armies. I have a set of Black dice with silver pips that is for my Black Templars and I have a set of grey dice with yellow pips that I use for my Space Wolves. I never use any other dice with these two armies and I am not even sure why I do it but it is something I stick to every time I play either of them.


Another ritual I have is naming all of the characters is my army lists. It doesn't matter what system I am playing, I always give the characters a name and have it on my list. I am sure it comes from all the years I played D&D, I just like having that feel of my own personal character in my army. To piggyback on that I have an Orc character that I use in both my Orcs and Goblins as well as my Space Ork armies. His name is Grubak Skulzbasha and no matter what he makes an appearance in my army lists as one of the orc/ork characters.


My last ritual that pretty much is carried over in every game that I play that uses dice, is carrying the dice I am going to use for the game in this red, green and brown dice bag. I don't even remember where I got the damn thing but anytime I leave my house to go gaming it is right there by my side carrying what ever dice I have chosen t use for that day.


Well there you have it, just a few of my personal rituals I go through when I am getting ready to do some gaming.


-BJ


You can read more topics at the Tavern Talks Archive. If you have a blog dedicated to Warhammer Fantasy you should join The Trading Post the hub for Warhammer Fantasy blogs.

2 comments:

Sigmar said...

I can honestly say that I don't have any rituals or any kind of superstitions when it comes to gaming (or anything else really). I do however know or have known a lot of people who do.

One friend refused to use certain coloured dice, another always had to shake them in a cup ?! and someone else always blows on them. Hmmm, rather annoying ! - in a funny kind of way :)

I must post his on my blog too. I saw the invite from Kuffy but forgot to follow it up.


Sigmar
my Gallery
my Battle Reports
my WFB blog
Fantasy forum

Meatball said...

I'm not sure I would call this a ritual but one friend of mine was always repainting minis after every game he would play if the particular mini did something in the game. I thought he was odd at the time but now it actually sounds pretty cool.

Post a Comment